Advertiser Disclosure

What is Medigap Plan L and Is It Right For You?

5 mins read
Our goal is to give you the tools and confidence you need to improve your health and finances. Although we may receive compensation from our partner insurance companies, whom we will always identify, all opinions are our own. CoverRight Inc. and CoverRight Insurance Services Inc. (NPN: 19724057) are collectively referred to here as "CoverRight".

Medicare Supplement Insurance, commonly known as Medigap, offers a range of plans to assist with the out-of-pocket costs not included in Original Medicare benefits. From Plans A to N, each Medigap policy provides a unique blend of benefits, addressing different needs and budgets. While some plans cover almost all your healthcare costs, others offer limited coverage but at a lower premium.

Among these, Medigap Plan L distinguishes itself with its balanced cost-sharing structure. Unlike most Medigap plans that cover nearly all or most of your healthcare expenses, Plan L offers a nuanced approach. While you may have to shoulder more out-of-pocket costs than with some other plans, this compromise allows for lower monthly premiums. 

In this article, we’ll delve into the intricacies of Medicare Plan L, evaluating its benefits, limitations, and whether it could be the right choice for you.

Understanding Medicare Plan L

Medicare Plan L is a supplemental insurance plan designed to offset some healthcare costs that Original Medicare doesn’t cover. This plan is unique for its cost-sharing model, aimed at balancing coverage and affordability.

The cost-sharing structure in Medicare Plan L is straightforward but distinct from other Medigap plans. After Original Medicare pays its share for covered services, Plan L kicks in and covers 75% of the remaining expenses. These could include deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance for Part A and Part B of Medicare. Consequently, you would only be responsible for the remaining 25% of the costs.

Unlike most Medigap plans that aim for more comprehensive coverage, Plan L’s model prioritizes cost-sharing. This sets it apart from plans like Plan F or Plan G, which cover virtually all of your remaining healthcare expenses. The cost-sharing model allows for lower monthly premiums, making it a potentially affordable option for those who can manage some out-of-pocket costs. 

Benefits and Coverage of Medicare Plan L

Medicare Plan L offers unique benefits to reduce your healthcare expenses alongside your Original Medicare coverage. Here’s what you need to know:

  • Hospital Stays and Care: If you’re admitted to a hospital, Plan L will cover 75% of your Part A coinsurance.
  • Outpatient Services: The plan covers 75% of your Part B coinsurance or copayments for standard medical appointments and preventive care.
  • Skilled Nursing Facilities: Should you require specialized care at a skilled nursing facility, the plan covers 75% of the associated costs.
  • Additional Benefits: The first three pints of blood needed for a procedure and hospice care coinsurance are also 75% covered by Plan L.

Limitations and Out-of-Pocket Costs

Medicare Plan L has a safety net feature—an annual out-of-pocket limit of $3,470 for 2023. Once your healthcare expenses reach this cap, Plan L will cover 100% of your Medicare-approved services for the remainder of the year. This built-in limit provides peace of mind, ensuring you won’t face runaway healthcare costs.

While Plan L covers a substantial part of your healthcare needs, there are gaps. These include:

  • Part B Deductible: Plan L does not cover the annual deductible for Part B outpatient services.
  • Part B Excess Charges: Any charges beyond what Medicare approves for Part B services aren’t covered.
  • Foreign Travel: Plan L doesn’t offer coverage for emergency healthcare if you’re traveling abroad.

Budgeting is vital since Plan L leaves you responsible for a portion of healthcare expenses. Knowing the plan’s limitations and your 25% cost share will help you set aside funds and avoid surprises. Here are some tips:

  • Utilize Preventive Services: Taking advantage of covered preventive services can help you maintain your health and potentially avoid higher costs down the line.
  • Compare Prices: For planned procedures or treatments, shop around. Prices can vary significantly between healthcare providers.
  • Stay In-Network: Using healthcare providers that accept Medicare can protect you from excess charges.
  • Review Bills Carefully: Always scrutinize your healthcare bills for errors or unfamiliar charges.

Who is Eligible for Medicare Plan L?

Eligibility for Medicare Plan L is intrinsically tied to your qualification for Original Medicare, which includes Part A and Part B. Here are some core prerequisites to keep in mind:

  • You need to enroll in both Medicare Part A and Part B.
  • You should be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident for at least five years.
  • Residency in a state that offers Medicare Plan L is essential at the time of application.

Your best chance for enrolling in Medicare Plan L is during the Open Enrollment Period. This period begins the first day of the month you turn 65 or older and have enrolled in Medicare Part B. During this time, you don’t have to answer any medical underwriting questions, and your pre-existing conditions won’t affect your ability to secure a policy.

Guaranteed issue rights also come into play under specific scenarios. For example, you can sign up for a Medigap plan, including Plan L, without facing health questions or waiting periods if you lose employer-sponsored coverage secondary to Medicare.

Specific criteria could cause the denial of your Medicare Supplement coverage even if you meet the basic qualifications. These can include:

  • Being under the age of 65, unless your state has provisions for those below this age.
  • Having specific pre-existing conditions if applying outside the Open or Special Enrollment Periods.

In such instances, private insurance carriers can deny offering you a Medicare Plan L policy.

How to Enroll in Medicare Plan L

Enrolling in a Medicare Plan L requires careful planning and a well-informed approach to secure the best possible healthcare for your needs. Here are the essential steps you need to follow to make an educated decision:

  1. Verify Eligibility: Confirm your enrollment in Medicare Part A and Part B and meet other eligibility requirements.
  2. Research Plans: Compare the features, benefits, and premiums of Medicare Plan L offered by various private insurers.
  3. Choose a Provider: Select a reputable insurance provider that offers Medicare Plan L in your state.
  4. Fill Out an Application: You can complete this process online, over the phone, or with a paper form. Make sure to provide all required information and documents.
  5. Submit Application: Send in your completed application along with any required documentation.

You can typically submit applications via the insurance carrier’s website, by mail, or in person at local offices if available. You can find the necessary documentation on your Medicare card, such as proof of your enrollment in Medicare Part A and Part B.

Enrolling in a Medicare Supplement plan significantly impacts your healthcare coverage and finances. If you find the process overwhelming, you can consult Medicare counselors for advice; services like the State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) offer free guidance. Alternatively, you can speak with licensed insurance agents specializing in Medicare Supplement plans to understand the terms and benefits more clearly.

At CoverRight, we’re your trusted partner in navigating the Medicare maze. Contact us today to find the perfect Plan L coverage for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the key benefits of Medicare Plan L?

Medicare Plan L offers a unique blend of coverage, filling gaps left by Medicare Parts A and B. It usually covers a significant percentage of hospital and medical costs that Original Medicare, including copayments and deductibles, doesn’t cover. This plan aims to provide a financial safety net for healthcare expenses, helping you manage your budget more effectively.

How does Medicare Plan L differ from other Medicare Supplement Plans?

Medicare Plan L features a specific cost-sharing structure. Unlike other plans that may cover all your out-of-pocket costs, Plan L generally covers 75% of these expenses, leaving you responsible for the remaining 25%. This results in lower monthly premiums compared to plans that offer full coverage, making it an attractive option for those who are relatively healthy and want to save on premiums.

Richard Chan

Richard is the Founder of CoverRight and based in New York. He is passionate about empowering consumers to take control of their health and finances. Prior to starting CoverRight, Richard had extensive experience working in financial services with over 8 years' experience in consumer lending and investment banking.

Latest from Blog